“Young people need nature for the healthy development of their senses, and for learning and creativity.This need is revealed in two ways; by an examination of what happens to the senses of the young when they lose connection with nature; and by witnessing the sensory magic that occurs when young people - even those beyond childhood - are exposed to even the smallest direct experience of a natural setting”. (Louv R., 2005, “Last Child in the Woods”)
The youth of today are being asked to combat climate change and to protect and save our planet. It’s important that they have an opportunity to bond with the natural world and to learn to love it, before being asked to heal its wounds.
The Nature Programme lasts 3-4 hours and involves going on an adventurous walk around the beautiful Balllinreeshig Nature Farm while playing fun nature awareness games, immersing your senses in nature, discovering the “Green Schools Woodland”, taking part in survival team challenges, finding wild animals, building shelters and becoming aware about leave no trace outdoor ethics
It is a really fun learning experience for students and a great idea for a school tour.
We also run nature programmes in other beautiful natural settings upon request.
Nature Programme content can be tailored to suit diffent age groups, learning outcomes etc.
To read more about the theory behind The Nature Programme click here.
What's so special about the nature programme
- It develops an increased awareness, respect and love of nature within the participants.
- The participants are given an energetic, refreshing and enjoyable experience.
- You visit the Green Schools Woodland and learn all about biodiversity.
- It compliments the school curriculum in many ways.
- We also deliver it through Irish.
- It is ideal for any school involved with the Green Schools Programme.
- The programme enables the participants to learn in a natural way.
- It is very suitable for groups who have learning difficulties and behavioural problems.
- The programme can be adapted so the participants learn about any particular topic. Such as glaciation, coastal environments, bogs, rivers etc.
- Most importantly, the nature programme addresses the disconnection from the natural world within our society and helps people reconnect with nature.
“We had a brilliant, fulfilled and action packed day doing a wide variety of different nature based activities. The pupils gleefully informed us that it was the best school tour ever! It certainly will not be long before we sign up again".
4th class teacher, Scoil Phádraig Naofa, Bandon
Just €400 for up to 30 participants, €10 per extra person.
For further info contact us.